The deBy Birth Support
This aid to laboring and giving birth vertically is a sturdy, lightweight, simply elegant stainless steel frame designed with the comfort of the laboring woman and the practitioner in mind. It promotes faster and more natural labor and births and thereby helps avoid long, exhausting labors.
The deBy Birth Support is different from other birth chairs you may have seen or used, in that it supports the forward-leaning position, using hand grasps that add other vital dimensions to the birth chair idea. Its lightweight, open design allows the practitioner easy visualization and access to the woman and baby for monitoring and emergency birth maneuvers.
Using the deBy Birth Support can aid your clients in the following ways:
- Increases the mobility and size of the pelvis.
- Favorable effect on contractions – no wasted energy!
- Relieves compression of the pelvis and great vessels.
- Enhances pushing naturally.
- Less need for perineal massage and episiotomy.
- Promotes rapid and efficient delivery of the placenta.
- For more detailed information on these points, click here
Forward position most effectively simulates a true squat:
- The Support is designed so the woman can sit back, lean forward on her hands, or put most of her weight on her feet. She can intuitively adjust her body to most efficiently move her baby toward birth and maintain good blood flow to her own body parts.
- The woman’s legs are spared the stress of true squatting, yet the benefits of squatting are maintained. The added advantage of using the Support’s hand grips is that sustained pressure is put on the pelvic acupressure points near her thumb.Activating these pressure points stimulates strong, coordinated contractions.
- The support is low enough that the woman’s feet can be firmly placed on the floor for grounding and balanced support, while relaxing her pelvic structures as needed.
Open design for easy access:
- The Support is open on all sides, allowing the practitioner easy visualization and access to the woman and baby for monitoring and emergency birth maneuvers.
Active women have a healthy sense of well-being:
- Being securely supported to give birth in the upright position, with both feet on the ground, encourages a sense of strength and well-being in women, and therefore promotes positive birth outcomes for both mother and baby.
The psychological advantages of the vertical birth have not yet been formally researched, but Dutch practitioners and others who have used the deBy Birth Support or studied the vertical position for birth agree that:
“Giving birth in the supine position often makes women feel passive and helpless. This sensation is sometimes compared with the helplessness of a beetle on its back. The erect position not only functions optimally because of its positive effect of gravity… but in particular because of its positive influence on the woman’s mental state and well-being.”
– Saskia van Rees, Beatrijs Smulders, Astrid Limburg, Prof. Dr. GJ Kloosterman in “Giving Birth,” 1987
- 19″ long by 17″ wide by 16″ high
- The support is a comfortable fit for just about every woman, short or tall.
- 5.5 pounds including the cover, 5 pounds less than similar models sold elsewhere.
- The support is lightweight and very easy to carry.
- Supports up to 300lbs
Carrying the Support
- The lightweight construction makes the support easy to carry for anyone.
- It can be put over your shoulders and carried like a backpack, keeping your hands free.
- Fabricated of lightweight, sturdy, easy-to-clean Surgical Grade Stainless Steel.
- Smooth, seamless one-piece design – no screws or joints to get in the way during carrying or usage.